Victoria’s Big Build is the biggest upgrade to our transport network in history and a record amount of works took place over summer.
During the quieter months on Victoria’s roads and trains, construction efforts ramped up on the Metro Tunnel, West Gate Tunnel, level crossing removals and upgrades to the roads in the west.
Major works took place between December 2019 and February 2020, including:
- Excavation of the final section of the Metro Tunnel entrance at South Yarra, as crews began shifting the existing train tracks to make room for the new track to connect the existing Cranbourne and Pakenham lines to the tunnel.
- Construction on the Avon River Bridge progressed, as well as critical drainage and maintenance works on the Gippsland Line between Morwell and Bairnsdale.
- Major ramps were reconstructed on the West Gate Freeway, to make way for widening the freeway from 8 to 12 lanes.
- Level crossing works progressed at Toorak Road, Cheltenham, Mentone, Lyndhurst and Pakenham.
- Two level crossings were removed at Carrum, and the new Carrum Station opened.
- The Reservoir level crossing was replaced with a rail bridge over High Street, and the new Reservoir Station was completed.
- Intersection and road upgrades took place in Laverton, Kingsville and Altona.
These critical upgrades are improving safety and reliability for public transport users, pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.
View current and upcoming disruptions that may impact your travel on the interactive map.
* Weekend and/or night works over this period
Was this page useful?
Please select an option
Thankyou for your feedback.