20 February 2023
Updated Thursday 6 April
The second stage of the Hurstbridge Line Duplication will deliver further improvements, including more train services, less crowding on peak trains and better connections to public transport in Melbourne’s northeast.
We are gearing up for 6 straight weeks of major construction from mid-March to get your new stations at Greensborough and Montmorency ready for use, complete platform and pedestrian crossing upgrades at Diamond Creek Station, and complete 3.5km of new rail track duplication on the Hurstbridge Line to allow extra services to run.
We will have trains running on the new duplicated track from Sunday 30 April.
During these major works, we will need to undertake work at night across project sites. We will be in touch with any directly affected residents.
Upcoming works in March and April
- Establishment of a construction laydown area in the Diamond Creek Station carpark from Wednesday 1 March
- Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closed from 9pm Friday 24 March to 5am Monday 27 March. It will also close from 9pm Monday 27 March to 5am Tuesday 28 March (updated Wednesday 22 March in Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closure) and from 9pm Tuesday 11 April to 5am Wednesday 12 April (updated Thursday 6 April in Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closure April 2023)
- 24/7 major construction works along the rail line in Greensborough, Montmorency, Diamond Creek, and Wattle Glen from 9pm Thursday 16 March to 3am Sunday 30 April
- Works to upgrade the zebra crossing in the Diamond Creek Shopping Centre carpark
What to expect
- Overnight noise, dust or vibrations from heavy machinery working throughout the rail corridor and locations at Diamond Creek Station, Diamond Creek Shopping Centre, and Main Hurstbridge Road
- The use of light towers and generators for night works across project sites
- An increase in heavy vehicles using local roads for haulage and deliveries to site
- Vegetation pruning
- Temporary changes to the way you move through Diamond Creek Shopping Centre carpark
- Traffic management and detours in place to help you move safely through the area - please check local signage for up-to-date detour information
- Trains running on the new rail track from first service Sunday 30 April
Changes to the way you travel
- Buses replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge Line from 8.30pm Thursday 16 March to last service Saturday 29 April
- Diamond Creek, Montmorency, and Greensborough stations will close during this time
- For more information, or to plan your journey, visit the PTV website
Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing will close from:
- 9pm Friday 24 March to 5am Monday 27 March (updated Wednesday 22 March in Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closure)
- 9pm Monday 27 March to 5am Tuesday 28 March (updated Wednesday 22 March in Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closure)
- 9pm Tuesday 11 April to 5am Wednesday 12 April (updated Thursday 6 April in Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing closure April 2023)
Bicycle, pedestrian and parking
- Diamond Creek Station pedestrian crossing will be closed from 7am Monday 20 March to 7am Sunday 26 March and again from 7am Thursday 30 March to 7am Friday 31 March
- Main Hurstbridge Road level crossing will be closed to pedestrians from 9pm Friday 17 March to 5am Monday 20 March
- 55 car spaces will be occupied by the project team for works in the Diamond Creek Station carpark from Wednesday 1 March to Friday 5 May
- 13 car spaces in the Diamond Creek Shopping Centre car park will be closed from Wednesday 1 March to Sunday 30 April
- 15 car spaces in the McDonald’s car park will close from 7am Monday 20 March to 7am Sunday 26 March
Community information sessions
Drop in at our upcoming community information sessions to ask questions about project works and our major construction blitz. You can find us at:
- Greensborough Plaza Shopping Centre from 4pm to 7pm, Thursday 23 February
- Montmorency Station from 7am to 10am, Tuesday 28 February
Main Hurstbridge Road closure detour (updated Wednesday 22 March)
Stay up to date
- Sign up for email updates
- SMS Hurstbridge to 0429 839 892 for text message alerts
- Call us on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com
Updated night works in May
With the major construction blitz underway, additional works have now been identified to support our construction program. To avoid further disruptions to train services, these works will take place overnight in May between the last train and morning services.
Overnight works will be undertaken between the following dates:
- Sunday 30 April to Friday 5 May 2023
- Sunday 7 May to Friday 12 May 2023
Residents affected by excessive overnight noise or vibration will be contacted by the project directly.
For more information please refer to Works notice – Diamond Creek night works in May