17 June 2022
The Victorian Government is upgrading important rail infrastructure across the network, including the Hurstbridge and Mernda lines, to enable more train services, less crowding on peak trains and better public transport connections in Melbourne’s north east.
As part of these upgrades, a new substation will be built in Reservoir, on Ruthven Station Reserve, to enable additional services on the Mernda Line. It will regulate the power source for Mernda Line trains, allowing more trains to run more reliably. Ruthven Station will also receive a $1.03 million upgrade to lighting and facilities, with works set to start in late 2022.
Works taking place
To enable the substation delivery, which will be in September 2022, work will take place 24 hours a day between 1.30am Saturday 16 July and 3am Monday 18 July 2022.
During this time, no trains will run, with buses replacing trains on the Mernda Line between Clifton Hill and Epping from 1.30am Saturday 16 July to last service Sunday 17 July 2022. To plan your journey, visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
Works will include:
- Upgrades to underground rail power and signalling equipment
- Non-destructive digging (using high pressure water to excavate the ground) for locating underground services
- Piling for the foundations of overhead structures
- Delivery of construction materials to site
The shared use path next to Ruthven Station Reserve on Macartney Street will be closed to pedestrians between White Street and Ruthven Station carpark from Monday 13 June 2022 until late July 2022. This area is required for construction purposes.
During planned night works, construction noise is managed in accordance with Environment Protection Authority guidelines. Our Environment Team undertakes noise modelling ahead of any works outside of regular construction hours. Any impacted residences will be contacted and offered respite relocation for the duration of works.
What to expect
- Works will take place 24 hours a day from 1.30am Saturday 16 July to 3am Monday 18 July 2022. At all other times, works will take place during normal construction hours, which are 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 1pm Saturdays
- Ruthven Station underpass will remain open throughout works
- Shared use path closure on rail side of Macartney Street between White Street and Ruthven Station Carpark from Monday 13 June 2022 until late July 2022
- Construction workers, vehicles, machinery, equipment, and lighting on site
- Truck deliveries and rail vehicle movements between Keon Parade and Ruthven Station
- Noise from machinery, such as excavators and generators
- Traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area
Ruthven station parking closure
Staying in touch
The Level Crossing Removal Project is delivering these works on behalf of the Victorian Government. To stay updated about project work, sign up for email updates and SMS alerts.
Please contact us on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com if you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information about the projects.
Translation service – for languages other than English, please call 9209 0147.
Please contact us if you would like this information in an accessible format.
Visit Relay Service if you need assistance because of a hearing or speech impairment.