Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
Geelong is Victoria’s second largest city and the second fastest growing city in Australia.
A $50 million investment will be put towards detailed planning work and technical investigations to determine a preferred option for high speed rail between Melbourne and Geelong.
The preferred option will maximise benefits of a future Melbourne Airport Link by integrating it with the existing network and unlocking capacity in Melbourne’s booming west and north.
Investigations will focus on these key areas:
- Faster, more frequent and more reliable regional services, including priority investigation of high speed rail to Geelong.
- Dedicated rolling stock capable of speeds in excess of anything currently operating in Victoria.
- Electrification of services in the fastest growing parts of Victoria, including Wyndham Vale, Melton and Wallan.
- Developing plans for a rail link to Melbourne Airport, servicing all Victorians via connections to the metropolitan and regional rail network.
- A new transport superhub at Sunshine to facilitate better integration of rail services.
The investigations will consider a new fleet of dedicated trains capable of travelling between 250 and 300km/hr.
Rail Projects Victoria is leading the investigation, development and delivery of this program. Rail Projects Victoria also oversees the delivery of the Metro Tunnel and Regional Rail Revival projects.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists