The North East Link Tunnels will take 15,000 trucks off local roads every day and reduce travel times by up to 35 minutes.
In response to community feedback, we’re building:
- longer 6.5km tunnels from Watsonia to Bulleen
- simpler interchanges at Lower Plenty Road, Manningham Road and Eastern Freeway
- 5 MCGs of parklands along Banyule Creek at Borlase Reserve
- a new 2km tree-lined boulevard for Greensborough Road
- a 2 hectare Yarra Link green bridge over Bulleen Road
- 3 new wetlands along the Yarra River and Koonung Creek in Bulleen and Balwyn North.
Read the latest fact sheets below to find out more:
Urban Design and Landscape Plan
From 11 May to 31 May 2022, we exhibited an Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) for the North East Link Tunnels and asked local people to comment on the look and feel of the design for their area. The plan also included connecting Eastern Freeway upgrades in Bulleen and Balwyn North.
In response to your comments on the UDLP, we made some further changes to the design including:
- improved walking and cycling connections
- more opportunities for more trees and plants
- a new wildlife crossing under Lower Plenty Road between Borlase Reserve and Banyule Flats
- more privacy and better views for residents in Yallambie, Bulleen and Balwyn North.
The UDLP was approved by the Minister for Planning on 3 February 2023.
Read the approved UDLP and the Community Consultation Report.