Spark has been selected as the preferred bidder to deliver the tunnelling package for North East Link. We’ll now work with Spark to negotiate a final contract and finalise their concept design for the project – ready to share details with the community before the end of the year.
Construction on the tunnelling package is expected to begin after contract award later in 2021.
Around 100 above and below ground services including power, water, gas, sewer and telecommunications lines are currently being moved to make way for North East Link.
- Community consultation starts
- Site investigations start
- Project corridor selected
- Business case released
- Environment Effects Statement (EES) prepared
- EES exhibited for public comment
- Early works builder announced
- Shortlist of project design teams released
- Planning approvals received
- Construction started – moving key power, water, gas and other services out of the way for the start of tunnel construction
- Preferred bidder selected for tunnelling package and design proposal to be announced
- Construction on the tunnelling package is expected to begin after contract award
- The project will go out to market for other key elements of North East Link, including a massive overhaul of the Eastern Freeway, Melbourne’s first dedicated busway, the completion of the M80 Ring Road and more than 25 kilometres of new and upgraded walking and cycling paths
- The project is working towards opening in 2027