Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
The Suburban Roads Upgrade is a $4 billion investment that will improve 22 priority roads across Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs.
Western Roads Upgrade
Work is underway on the $1.8 billion project that will transform eight priority roads in Melbourne’s western suburbs including:
- Dunnings Road and Palmers Road, Point Cook, between Point Cook Road and Princes Freeway
- Palmers Road, Truganina, between Princes Freeway and Western Freeway
- Derrimut Road, Tarneit, between Sayers Road and Dohertys Road
- Leakes Road, Truganina, between Fitzgerald Road and Derrimut Road
- Dohertys Road, Laverton North, between Fitzgerald Road and Grieve Parade
- Dohertys Road, Truganina, between Foundation Road and Palmers Road
- Forsyth Road Interchange, Hoppers Crossing
- Duncans Road Interchange, Werribee/Werribee South.
Funding will also be put towards improvements and maintenance for more than 260 kilometres of road between Footscray and Werribee for the next 20 years.
Northern Roads Upgrade
Planning is underway for the north, that will add extra lanes to:
- Childs Road, Mill Park between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- Sunbury Road, Sunbury between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- Epping Road, Epping between Craigieburn Road East and Memorial Avenue
- Bridge Inn Road, Doreen between Plenty Road and Yan Yean Road
- Sections along Craigieburn Road, Craigieburn
- Yan Yean Road, Yarrambat between Kurrak Road and Bridge Inn Road.
Intersections will be upgraded along Fitzsimons Lane in Templestowe and Eltham, and traffic lights installed at Leane Drive in Eltham.
South Eastern Roads Upgrade
Planning is underway for the south-east, that will add extra lanes to:
- Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road, Pakenham South between Princes Freeway and Manks Road
- Lathams Road, Seaford, between Oliphant Way and Dandenong-Frankston Road
- Hallam North Road and Heatherton Road, Endeavour Hills, between Heatherton Road and James Cook Drive
- Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road, Cranbourne, between Thompsons Road and the South Gippsland Highway
- Pound Road West, Dandenong South, between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway, with a new bridge over the Cranbourne train line.
Along Thompsons Road, traffic lights will replace roundabouts at Dandenong-Frankston Road in Cranbourne and Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road in Carrum Downs.
Road safety and surface improvements will be made along Golf Links and Grant Roads, and the roundabout upgraded at Golf Links, Grant, Warrandyte and Baxter-Tooradin Roads in Langwarrin South.
One of the biggest investments in outer suburban roads to cater for Melbourne's rapid growth
The Suburban Roads Upgrade is being delivered by the Major Road Projects Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
Bacchus Marsh Traffic Improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with two major upgrades
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We’re planning for the duplication of Barwon Heads Road to improve traffic flow and safety and provide for future growth in the surrounding area
Beaufort Rail Bridge Strengthening
We're increasing the bridge's capacity and extending its life for future generations
Cranbourne Line Upgrade
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Fast Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a fast rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
North East Link
Victoria's biggest road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.