Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The upgrade will increase capacity and improve safety and traffic flow on Yan Yean Road, from Diamond Creek Road to Kurrak Road.
Construction started in December 2017 and is expected to be completed by mid-2019.
The Victorian Government is investing $131.2 million to fund Stage 1 of the Yan Yean Road Upgrade.
Stage 1 of the upgrade includes:
- removing dangerous road bends, including the bends at Howell Road and Sutherland Road
- widening the road from one to two lanes in each direction between Diamond Creek Road and Kurrak Road
- upgrading the intersections at Diamond Creek Road, River Avenue, Memorial Drive, Browns Lane, Kurrak Road and the Nillumbik Shire Council Recycling and Recovery Centre with optimised traffic lights and signalised pedestrian crossings
- adding a centre safety barrier to help prevent head-on crashes
- adding service lanes to provide safe access to residential properties
- building a new shared walking and cycling path along the full length on the west side of the road
- building new footpaths along sections on the east side of the road.
Future-proofing Yan Yean Road to match the area's rapid growth
The Yan Yean Road Upgrade is being delivered by the Major Road Projects Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
Airport Rail Link
Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Cranbourne Line Upgrade
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We’re planning for the duplication of Barwon Heads Road to improve traffic flow and safety and provide for future growth in the surrounding area.
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.
Bacchus Marsh traffic improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with the Halletts Way Interchange Project and the Gisborne Road / Holts Lane Intersection Upgrade.