Base level construction training

White Card (Prepare to work safely in the construction industry)

To work on any construction site, you must have a White Card.

White Card training covers the minimum occupational health and safety principles to operate on a construction site. White Cards must be provided when requested on-site.

Read more about the Prepare to work safely in the construction industry training on the Australian Government's My Skills website.

Traffic control (Control traffic with stop-slow bat)

The ‘Control traffic with stop-slow bat’ course provides the minimum training to ensure the safety of construction and maintenance workers and the general public.

Read more about the Control traffic with stop-slow bat training on the Australian Government's My Skills website.

Plant operator tickets

The plant and equipment used on our road, rail and tunnel projects includes:

  • front-end loader/backhoes
  • front-end loaders (skidsteer type)
  • excavators
  • dozers (track and/or wheel)
  • vehicle loading cranes
  • compactors
  • haul trucks
  • graders
  • scrapers
  • rollers
  • telescopic materials handlers
  • tip trucks
  • watercarts
  • elevating work platforms.

To qualify to operate these types of equipment, you must complete an accredited training course with a registered training organisation (RTO).

High risk work licences

A high risk work licence allows you to undertake higher risk work, including scaffolding, dogging, rigging and operating cranes and forklifts.

WorkSafe Victoria is the organisation that decides which equipment requires a high risk licence.

Read more on high risk licences at the WorkSafe Victoria website.

Finding a training provider

Find training providers in your area via the Australian Government's My Skills website.

  1. Enter the name of the course you're interested in, plus your location. Select Search.
  2. Click on the course name
  3. Select the link ‘Search Training Providers’.

Rail tickets/licences

If you want to enter the rail and rail infrastructure sector, there are a number of different training pathways.

The best choice depends on the role you’re aiming for. The information here is meant as a guide only.

Important: Before signing up to a rail course, be sure you fully understand the training requirements for your role and the costs of the training. Check with:

Initial rail training and requirements

These qualifications are relevant for work as a labourer or track worker.

Safely access the rail corridor (SARC)

SARC is a nationally recognised qualification for working in the rail industry in Australia. You must be at least 18 years old and have a White Card to do this training.

Once you’ve successfully completed SARC training, you can apply for a Rail Industry Worker (RIW) Card.

SARC was previously known as Rail Industry Safety Induction training (RISI).

Read more about SARC training on the Australian Government's My Skills website.

Category 3 Rail Medical

The Category 3 rail medical is the minimum requirement for Around the Track Personnel Workers, which are often referred to as non-safety critical workers.

Note: Any rail industry worker must pass the compulsory medical assessment for their job type.

Rail Industry Worker (RIW) Card

The RIW is an identification card that’s needed to access or work on the rail corridor. The card links to an electronic record that captures your health, education and competency information.

To apply for a RIW card, you will need to be either employed by an organisation or be a sole trader with an ABN.

Read more about RIW cards at the Rail Industry Worker website.

Train operator inductions

Many rail operators (for example Metro Trains or V/Line) undertake a further induction before they allow workers to access the rail network.

More information

For more information on rail training and requirements, speak to:

You might also be interested in: