Victoria's Big Build is delivering 165 major road and rail projects, including:
- Metro Tunnel, a second underground railway for Melbourne, with 5 new stations
- removal of 85 level crossings across Melbourne by 2025
- West Gate Tunnel, an alternative to the West Gate Bridge
- North East Link, fixing the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
- major road upgrades around Victoria, including new roads, road widenings, new bridges and major freeway upgrades
- Melbourne Airport Rail, providing train travel to the CBD in less than 30 minutes
- Suburban Rail Loop, will link every major rail line from the Frankston Line to the Werribee Line via Melbourne Airport
- upgrades to every regional passenger line in Victoria.
More construction, more jobs
Victoria’s Big Build is generating thousands of local jobs for Victorians, in sectors ranging from construction and engineering to human resources and administration.
More than 18,000 people are currently working directly on projects, and for every 100 direct jobs on the projects, on average another 206 jobs are supported across the economy.
As part of the Victorian Government's Local Jobs First policy, at least 10% of labour hours are allocated to trainees and apprentices. We are actively building our workforce from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in transport and construction, including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- refugees and asylum seekers
- people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Our industry partners
We partner with leading Australian and international construction and engineering companies to deliver Victoria’s Big Build. We also partner with small and medium-sized local businesses.
Construction partners are appointed following a robust and transparent procurement process for each project.
Environment and sustainability
We know it's important to Victorians that we keep communities healthy and protect the environment during our construction work.
For each project we:
- have a comprehensive health and safety management plan
- ensure we're protecting the environment by putting in place safeguards and management systems to protect local plants and animals, and air, soil and water quality
- require our industry partners to commit to using recycled materials.
Oversight of Victoria’s Big Build
The Major Transport Infrastructure Authority (MTIA) and the Suburban Rail Loop Authority (SRLA) work together to deliver Victoria's Big Build.
SRLA is responsible for the planning and delivery of the Suburban Rail Loop. MTIA is responsible for the planning and delivery of all other Victoria’s Big Build projects.
MTIA and SRLA work closely with the Department of Transport in planning, delivery and construction of major transport projects.
Together, DoT, MTIA and SLRA ensure major construction activities and disruptions are coordinated across the transport network, including planning to keep people moving through major works periods.