$70bof transport projects being delivered
119major road and rail projects
13,000+people in jobs
About Victoria’s Big Build
Victoria is currently in a transport construction boom with 119 major road and rail projects being delivered. It’s not just about current works, with significant planning also underway for a number of projects that are set to transform the way Victorians travel. Highlights of Victoria’s Big Build include:
- A second underground railway, the Metro Tunnel
- Victoria’s biggest ever commitment to remove level crossings
- $1.75 billion Regional Rail Revival package
- A second major road connection from the west, the West Gate Tunnel
- Victoria’s biggest road tunnel, the North East Link
- Major upgrades to some of our busiest freeways including the M80, CityLink, Tullamarine and Monash
- Upgrades to priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
- Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines
- New electrified lines in the west and faster, high-capacity rail for our regional cities.
About the Major Transport Infrastructure Authority
The Major Transport Infrastructure Authority was established on 1 January 2019 to oversee the major transport projects in planning and construction and is comprised of the following project teams:
- Level Crossing Removal Project
- North East Link Project
- West Gate Tunnel Project
- Major Road Projects Victoria
- Rail Projects Victoria
The Authority is headed up by the Director-General, Corey Hannett and is supported by a team of people with expertise in planning and delivering major transport projects in the fields of safety, resource planning, legal, commercial, community engagement, policy and finance.
The Authority works closely with the Department of Transport to ensure major construction activities and disruptions are coordinated across the network. This includes plans to keep people moving through major work periods. We also work with industry to ensure it has the skilled workers needed to deliver Victoria’s massive construction program.
More construction, more jobs
These projects, combined with many more local road upgrades and public transport improvements, mean more jobs for Victorians. This massive overhaul of our transport network is creating tens of thousands of jobs.
Visit our jobs portal for current vacancies on these projects across the private and public sectors.
Keeping you informed
There are a number of ways you can stay informed about major transport projects and any disruptions on the network. This website features an interactive map showing the location and timing of any major disruptions as well as travel alternatives. You can plan your public transport journey via the PTV Journey Planner or visit VicTraffic for more information about travel conditions and incidents.
Each project has a dedicated communications strategy using methods such as advertising, notifications/newsletters in letterboxes, emails, signage, flyers, social media, website information and videos. Get in touch with us if you have a specific question or concern about works and projects in your area.Our projects
Was this page useful?
Please select an option
Thankyou for your feedback.