Untangling the City Loop so more trains can run more often across Melbourne
50 level crossings across Melbourne are being removed, making communities safer and less congested and creating thousands of jobs. Victoria’s biggest ever program to remove level crossings started in 2015, with the program to be completed by 2022.
These projects are being delivered by a range of construction and engineering partners including:
- CPB Contractors, Lendlease, Aurecon and WSP: removing nine level crossings between Caulfield and Dandenong and upgrading signalling and stations on the Cranbourne/Pakenham line to prepare for High Capacity Metro Trains
- BMD Constructions: removing the Melton Highway (Sydenham) and Thompsons Road (Lyndhurst) level crossings
- North Eastern Program Alliance involving Laing O’Rourke, Fulton Hogan and Jacobs: removing the Grange Road (Alphington), Lower Plenty Road (Rosanna), Bell Street (Preston)* and High Street (Reservoir)* level crossings and duplicating a section of the Hurstbridge line
- North Western Program Alliance involving John Holland and Kellogg Brown and Root: removing the Buckley Street (Essendon), Glenroy Road (Glenroy)*, Moreland Road (Brunswick)*, Bell Street (Coburg)*, Camp Road (Campbellfield) and Skye Road (Frankston) level crossings
- Western Program Alliance involving McConnell Dowell, Arup and Mott McDonald: removing the Kororoit Creek Road (Williamstown North), Abbotts Road (Dandenong South), Aviation Road (Laverton)*, Ferguson Street (Williamstown)*, Cherry Street* and Werribee Street (Werribee)* level crossings
- Southern Program Alliance involving Lend Lease, Acciona Coleman and WSP: removing the Mascot Avenue (Bonbeach), Station Street (Carrum), Eel Race Road (Carrum), Seaford Road (Seaford), Park Road (Cheltenham)*, Charman Road (Cheltenham)*, Balcombe Road (Mentone)*, Edithvale Road (Edithvale)* and Station Street/Bondi Road (Bonbeach)* level crossing removals, as well as building a new road bridge over Patterson River and new train storage facility near Kananook Station.
* additional works to be delivered by allocated program alliance/contractor subject to performance on initial work packages.
Up to 28 level crossings are set to be removed by the end of 2018 and 50 gone by 2022
The Level Crossing Removal Project is being delivered by the Level Crossing Removal Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
Airport Rail Link
Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Cranbourne Line Upgrade
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We’re planning for the duplication of Barwon Heads Road to improve traffic flow and safety and provide for future growth in the surrounding area.
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.
Bacchus Marsh traffic improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with the Halletts Way Interchange Project and the Gisborne Road / Holts Lane Intersection Upgrade.