We're not just removing level crossings, we are reconnecting communities and creating public spaces that will be used for years to come. We create great places through our work in urban design.
What is urban design?
Urban design is the practice of making these precincts work for you, including elements like architecture, green space and pathways.
To find out how we make great places, read our Urban Design Framework.
Why is urban design important?
Urban design is important because it:
- makes a place easy to get around
- ensures that spaces are safe, comfortable, accessible and inclusive to all people
- responds to and shapes the local identity, character and spirit of places
- provides spaces that people want to be in
- provides sustainable urban environments that can withstand extreme weather conditions.
Celebrating Aboriginal culture through design
The Level Crossing Removal Project is delivering city-shaping projects on the lands of the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung, Bunurong and Wadawurrung people. This presents an opportunity to engage with Traditional Owners on projects and to celebrate Aboriginal culture and connection to Country through Indigenous design.
See our process for representing Aboriginal culture through design.