We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with two major upgrades
The Australian and Victorian governments have invested more than $2 billion in the Regional Rail Revival program, which is upgrading every regional passenger rail line in Victoria and creating 1000 jobs.
The once-in-a-generation investment is improving the reliability of the regional public transport network, enhancing the passenger experience and supporting local economies. The program is delivering major upgrades to every regional passenger line in Victoria, creating more than 1000 jobs.
Passengers are already enjoying the benefits of Regional Rail Revival, including:
- VLocity trains to Bairnsdale
- 10 extra weekly services for Shepparton
- extended platforms at Donnybrook and Wallan stations
- a rebuilt station at Rockbank and new station at Cobblebank on the Ballarat Line
- new peak services between Melton and Southern Cross Station on the Ballarat Line
More benefits are on the way over the next 12 months and beyond as construction ramps up across the state.
Ballarat Line Upgrade
- major construction on the project is complete, with passengers enjoying benefits such as extra services between Melton and Southern Cross stations, more accessible stations and more car parking
- more services will be introduced for the growing communities along the line following commissioning, safety testing and driver training in 2020
Gippsland Line Upgrade
- major upgrades between Pakenham and Traralgon, including second platforms at key stations and track duplication, will allow more reliable services and trains every 40 minutes in the off-peak
- a new rail bridge will be built over the Avon River in Stratford, which will allow trains to travel at up to 90 km/h in this section and improve reliability on the line
Warrnambool Line Upgrade
- level crossing and signalling upgrades, as well as a new crossing loop to make it easier for trains to pass each other
- these upgrades will enable an additional fifth weekday return service, improve reliability and boost safety for train passengers and motorists
Geelong Line Upgrade
- upgrades to Waurn Ponds Station, with extra car parking as well as a new second platform, track and pedestrian overpass to allow more trains to be extended to and from Waurn Ponds
- Stage 2 of the project includes planning and development for track duplication from South Geelong to Waurn Ponds to enable more frequent and reliable services for passengers
Bendigo and Echuca Line Upgrade
- signalling upgrades from Bendigo to Eaglehawk and Epsom will deliver a metro-style train service in this section
- track upgrades will enable faster Echuca trains as well as an extra daily return service for passengers on the line
- new stations at Goornong, Huntly and Raywood, a business case for a 40-minute service frequency between Kyneton and Bendigo, as well as a planning study for the reopening of Harcourt Station
North East Line Upgrade
- track improvements and station upgrades from Melbourne to Albury/Wodonga will deliver a more reliable and comfortable service for passengers and will enable modern VLocity trains to run on the line for the first time
Shepparton Line Upgrade
- Stage 1 of the project is complete with passengers enjoying 10 extra train services per week between Melbourne and Shepparton
- Stage 2 includes platform extensions, new stabling and up to 59 level crossing upgrades which will enable VLocity trains to travel to and from Shepparton for the first time
- the project also includes a business case to finalise the scope and cost to deliver nine daily return services as part of a future Stage 3
Donnybrook and Wallan station upgrades
- 150 new car parking spaces, platform extension with shelters and better access for cars, buses and pedestrians at Donnybrook Station
- an extension of the waiting room with new toilets, platform extension with shelters and a new bus interchange and reconfigured car park at Wallan Station
- these upgrades are improving access, safety and comfort for passengers in two of Victoria’s fastest-growing communities
Delivering better train travel for regional Victorians
The $2 billion+ Regional Rail Revival is being delivered by Rail Projects Victoria. Visit the project website for more information.
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
4 kms of Barwon Heads Road between Settlement Road and Reserve Road will be duplicated, and investigating the potential for duplicating a further 6 kms from Reserve Road to Lower Duneed Road
Bypassing Shepparton incorporates Shepparton Bypass Stage 1, Shepparton Alternate Route and upgrades to Ford and Wanganui roads
Bridge Inn Road Upgrade
Adding an extra lane, installing new traffic lights, upgrading intersections and building a new bridge
Chandler Highway Upgrade
Upgrading Chandler Highway to improve traffic flow between Melbourne's inner east, south and north.
Childs Road Upgrade
Adding an extra lane, replacing a roundabout with traffic lights and building a new bridge over Darebin Creek
Craigieburn Road Upgrade
Adding extra lanes, upgrading intersections and building better walking, cycling and public transport connections
Epping Road Upgrade
Adding an extra lane, installing new traffic lights, upgrading intersections and building better walking and cycling connections
Geelong Fast Rail
Delivering faster services between Geelong and Melbourne’s CBD with a travel time of around 50 minutes.
Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade
Reducing congestion and improving safety by upgrading intersections and reworking traffic lanes
Geelong Ring Road Extension - Bellarine Link
The Bellarine Link will extend the Geelong Ring Road from Baanip Boulevard to Portarlington Road
Golf Links Road Upgrade
Improving safety and reducing congestion by upgrading the roundabout, adding safety barriers and improving the road surface
Hall Road & Western Port Highway Upgrade
Upgrading the road and two roundabouts to improve safety and journey reliability
Hallam North and Heatherton Road Upgrade
Adding an extra lane, upgrading intersections and building new walking and cycling paths
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade
Improving traffic flow and safety by adding extra lanes, upgrading intersections and building a new bridge over Peninsula Link
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Enabling more train services, less crowding on peak trains, and better connections
Lathams Road Upgrade
Adding extra lanes, upgrading intersections, building a new bridge over Peninsula Link and installing safety barriers
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
Melbourne Airport Rail
Melbourne Airport Rail services will maximise airport connectivity to Victoria’s metropolitan and regional rail networks.
Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade
Improving traffic flow and safety by adding an extra lane, upgrading intersections and building new walking and cycling paths
North East Link
Victoria's biggest road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
O'Herns Road Upgrade
Upgrading O’Herns Road and High Street intersection, building a new interchange and adding extra lanes on the Hume Freeway
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Pound Road West Upgrade
Improving traffic flow by building a new bridge over the rail line, upgrading intersections and adding an extra lane
South Road Upgrade
Reducing congestion by upgrading intersections along South Road between Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road
Streamlining Hoddle Street
Improved traffic flow and access for public transport users, drivers, cyclists and pedestrians travelling through Hoddle Street and Punt Road
Sunbury Line Upgrade
Enabling more modern trains to run on the line, creating room for 113,000 more passengers every week
Sunbury Road Upgrade
Improving traffic flow by adding extra lanes, traffic lights and building a new bridge
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station, duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road and upgrading the intersection at Frankston-Dandenong Road.
Transport is changing in Pakenham
Building a new super station and improving roads and rail services for Pakenham and surrounds
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.
Western Rail Plan
Investigating high-capacity rail for our regional cities and growing western suburbs.
Was this page useful?
Please select an option
Thankyou for your feedback.