Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The $1.7 billion Regional Rail Revival program is a joint initiative of the Australian and Victorian governments to upgrade stations, signalling and rail tracks across Victoria.
The once in a generation investment will improve the reliability of the regional public transport network, enhance the passenger experience and support local economies.
The program will see major upgrades across every regional passenger line in Victoria, creating more than 1,000 jobs.
The Regional Rail Revival includes:
- Ballarat Line Upgrade - which is already underway, and will deliver more trains and improved reliability for Melbourne’s outer western suburbs, Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Ballarat. A consortium involving Lendlease, Coleman Rail and SMEC is the successful construction contractor for this upgrade.
- $435 million Gippsland Line Upgrade - major upgrades between Pakenham and Traralgon including duplication of track between Bunyip and Longwarry, and $95 million to replace the Avon River Bridge in Stratford.
- $114 million Warrnambool Line Upgrade - a new crossing loop at Boorcan or Weerite, upgraded track and level crossings, improved signalling, and provision for new VLocity trains to run to Warrnambool.
- $80 million Geelong Line Upgrade - an additional platform and pedestrian link at Waurn Ponds Station, and planning and future proofing at Waurn Ponds station.
- $91 million Bendigo Line Upgrade - signalling upgrades from Bendigo to Eaglehawk and Bendigo to Epsom, as well as a track speed upgrade from Bendigo to Echuca and an extra daily service to Echuca.
- $235 million North East Corridor Upgrade - track improvements and station upgrades on the North East Line, paving the way for new standard gauge train services to Albury.
- $43.5 million Shepparton Line Upgrade - stabling upgrade at Shepparton station to house the trains needed to enable a fifth daily return service.
Delivering better train travel for regional Victorians
The Regional Rail Revival is being delivered by Rail Projects Victoria. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists