31 January 2023
Soil excavation ready for testing.
We are removing another 8 dangerous and congested level crossings on the Upfield Line, from Albion Street, Brunswick to Park Street, Parkville.
As part of the Brunswick Level Crossing Removal Project’s site investigations, we’re testing the soil in Brunswick and Parkville.
What is soil testing
Soil testing helps us understand important information about the ground conditions and where utilities and services are located.
This information is used to develop the project's design, planning, and construction methods.
What we're doing
In and along the rail corridor we're drilling bore holes to collect soil samples for testing. We're staging soil testing along the rail corridor to reduce impacts.
Once investigations are complete, all holes will be dug, backfilled and reinstated progressively, finishing at one location before moving onto the next.
Why these level crossings need to go
- About 71,000 vehicles travel through these crossings each day
- Boom gates are down for up to 30 minutes of the morning peak (7am to 9am)
- Up to 16 trains during the morning peak (7am to 9am)
- 36 near-misses since 2016
Where and when we'll be working
We’ll work between Moreland Road, Brunswick and Royal Park Station, Parkville, in and along the rail corridor.
Works are continuing throughout 2023 during approved construction hours from 7am to 6pm on weekdays and 7am to 3pm on Saturdays.
Note this timeline may change depending on weather and other factors.
What this means for you
While works will take place in the rail corridor and will not impact your property, you may notice:
- workers, equipment, vehicles and temporary fencing in the area
- some noise, dust and vibration during works.
We’ll need to temporarily close select local roads, footpaths and car parks for a short time to safely allow machinery into the rail corridor. Traffic management will be in place to help pedestrians, bike riders and drivers safely move around the works area. For your safety please follow any directions and signage.
Access to houses and private properties will be maintained at all times. We will communicate directly with any affected residents or property owners.
Keeping in touch
- Sign up for our Brunswick email updates
- Send us a private message on our Facebook page
- Contact our 24/7 call centre on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com