1 November 2023
We’re getting ready to upgrade the Eastern Freeway with new express lanes, new traffic management technology and Melbourne’s first dedicated busway to slash travel times and improve public transport in Melbourne’s east.
What we're doing
From mid-November, we'll begin installing temporary signage, placing barriers to create safe work sites, removing a layer of asphalt and realigning the line marking on the Eastern Freeway.
Where and when
During November and December, we'll be working at night along the Eastern Freeway between Burke Road and Doncaster Road, including Bulleen Road outbound exit ramp and Thompsons Road outbound entry ramp.
9pm to 5am, Monday to Friday
What to expect
During these works you'll notice:
- overnight freeway ramp closures at Bulleen and Thompsons Roads for up to 2 nights
- changes to road signage and speed limits on the Eastern Freeway
- traffic management and equipment
- light spill
- increased noise and vibration levels for some machinery
- construction traffic and street sweepers.
We'll manage impacts as much as possible by:
- scheduling noisier works early in the evening
- using directional lighting positioned away from residences
- monitoring noise levels and adjusting machinery and activities where possible.
Keeping in touch
If you have any questions, please contact the 24/7 Contact Centre on 1800 105 105.
To stay safe, please follow all instructions from signage and traffic controllers.
We appreciate your patience and understanding throughout these works.
Map of work area
Bulleen Road will also be closed for North East Link works from Friday 24 November to Tuesday 5 December. Check the website for further details.