Works have begun on a new road bridge across the Patterson River, to create a direct connection between Bonbeach and Carrum.
The old pedestrian bridge will be demolished next month to create foundations for the new road bridge. The bridge will be open by the end of this year.
The bridge is the first stage in the removal of three level crossings in the Carrum area, which include Mascot Avenue, Station Street and Eel Race Road.
As part of the project, the area will benefit from:
- safer and more direct routes for traffic
- new walking and cycling paths
- safer access to the new Carrum Station
- revitalisation of Carrum Village
- a new promenade with year-round access to the bay.
Works on these level crossing removals will begin in 2019.