Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
We’re upgrading the Chandler Highway to improve traffic flow and provide smoother journeys in Melbourne’s inner north. The $110 million upgrade involves widening Chandler Highway and building a second bridge next to the existing one.
As part of the upgrade, we’re:
- widening Chandler Highway to six lanes
- building a new bridge to the west of the existing bridge
- upgrading the Heidelberg Road and Chandler Highway intersection
- upgrading the Yarra Boulevard/Guide Dogs Victoria and Chandler Highway intersection
- installing new traffic lights at the Chandler Highway and Yarra Boulevard intersection
- turning the original 126-year-old bridge into a walking and cycling path
- building safer bicycle and pedestrian paths that connect to the Main Yarra Trail
- landscaping around the Yarra River
- improving storm water drainage and lighting.
Work started in 2017 with the project to be completed in late 2018.
The Chandler Highway Upgrade is on track to be completed by the end of 2018
The Chandler Highway Upgrade is being delivered by VicRoads. Visit the website for more information about the project.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists