In early 2021 we started major construction on the Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade and completed the upgrade in January 2023.
The Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade included:
- new traffic lights at the Main Road and Leane Drive intersection
- traffic lights to replace roundabouts at the Fitzsimons Lane and Main Road intersection and Fitzsimons Lane and Porter Street intersection
- an upgraded signalised intersection at Williamsons Road and Foote Street
- opening bus lanes to all vehicle use between Porter and Foote Streets
- relocation of the iconic River Peel structure
- new walking and cycling paths
- safety barriers at key locations.
The upgrade will reduce congestion in peak periods to provide more reliable travel times, improves safety and makes walking and cycling around the community safer.
Design - what we heard from you
Consultation started in late 2018 and we listened to your feedback. We made a number of key design changes across the project including new U-turns, even more walking and cycling connections at key locations, and improved bus priority at key locations.
We also heard your feedback about the intersection at Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane. You told us:
- the community cherishes its environmental beauty and local character
- you are concerned about safety in peak times.
Our final design improves safety and reduces congestion in both the morning and afternoon peak, keeping locals and commuters moving.
Further design changes included reducing the number of lanes, which enabled us to retain more trees.
We kept consulting you throughout the build to ensure as many trees and community features were retained as possible.
Hear from our construction team about what's been involved in completing the Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade.