We’ll build a new bridge over the Cranbourne rail line to remove the dead ends at Remington Drive and Pound Road West. The bridge will provide a second connection between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway, improving access to the freeway network and reducing travel times for businesses.
As part of the Pound Road West Upgrade, we’ll:
- connect Pound Road West and Remington Drive with a new bridge over the Cranbourne railway line
- add an extra lane in each direction between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway
- install new traffic lights at Ventura Place and Hydrive Close
- upgrade the existing Remington Drive and Pound Road West intersections at Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
We’ll also strengthen and resurface the Frankston-Dandenong Road Bridge over the Cranbourne and Pakenham rail lines.
In May 2021, Seymour Whyte Constructions were awarded the contract to deliver the Pound Road West Upgrade, including the Frankston-Dandenong Road Bridge Upgrade.
This Pound Road West Upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- reduce growing traffic pressure on the South Gippsland Highway and Abbotts Road
- improve access in and around the Dandenong South employment hub
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers
- improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
Pound Road West Upgrade map