Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
The O'Herns Road upgrade will see changes to the High Street intersection and build a new interchange from O’Herns Road onto the Hume Freeway.
The Victorian and Australian Governments are investing $81 million in the O’Herns Road Upgrade to provide safer and more reliable journeys and better access to the Hume Freeway.
Upgrades at the intersection of O'Herns Road and High Street include:
- introducing traffic lights to improve safety and traffic flow
- adding slip lanes, right turn lanes and a raised platform at the intersection to improve safety and reduce the risk of crashes
- building on-road bike lanes to connect to nearby shared walking and cycling paths.
Once upgrades to the High Street intersection are complete, a new interchange at the Hume Freeway will be built.
The Hume Freeway interchange will include:
- building a full diamond interchange at O’Herns Road, providing direct access to the Hume Freeway
- widening O’Herns Road bridge over the Hume Freeway to help improve traffic flow to the new interchange and match the four-lane section between Redding Rise and Epping Road
- adding one lane in each direction on O’Herns Road between the Hume Freeway and Redding Rise
- adding one new lane in each direction on the Hume Freeway between Cooper Street and O’Herns Road
- creating new on and off ramps at the O’Herns Road interchange, giving direct access to the Hume Freeway if you’re heading to and from the CBD and northern suburbs
- connecting the shared walking and cycling paths on O’Herns Road from Redding Rise to the Hume Freeway and continuing on-road bike lanes on O’Herns Road.
The project will provide easier access to the Hume Freeway in one of the fastest growing areas in Australia
The O'Herns Road Upgrade is being delivered by Major Road Projects Victoria. Visit the project website for more information.
Bacchus Marsh Traffic Improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with two major upgrades
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We're duplicating 4 kms of Barwon Heads Road between Settlement Road and Reserve Road, and investigating the potential for duplicating a further 6 kms from Reserve Road to Lower Duneed Road
Beaufort Rail Bridge Strengthening
We're increasing the bridge's capacity and extending its life for future generations
Cranbourne Line Duplication
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Fast Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a fast rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
North East Link
Victoria's biggest road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network 356231
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.