Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The Plenty Road Upgrade provide better access to jobs, schools, shops and parklands.
The project is being completed in two stages. Construction of Stage 1 works on McKimmies Road and Bush Boulevard started in March 2018 and is expected to be completed by early-2019.
The Victorian Government is investing $207 million to upgrade this section, which involves:
- widening the road with a new lane in each direction
- upgrading five major intersections, including Childs Road and Centenary Drive
- keeping Rivergum Drive safe by installing traffic lights
- building safer lanes for cyclists
- introducing safety barriers to improve safety for all road users.tage 1 - McKimmies Road and Bush Boulevard.
Planning for Stage 2, from Bush Boulevard and Bridge Inn Road, is currently underway. This will involve:
- widening the road from 4 to 6 lanes between Bush Boulevard and Riverdale Boulevard
- widening the road from 2 to 4 lanes between Riverdale Boulevard and Bridge Inn Road
- improving cycling and walking facilities
- upgrading major intersections, including Bridge Inn Road.
Construction contractor DECMIL is working with the Major Road Projects Authority to deliver the project.
Fixing the congestion commuters face daily when travelling from Mill Park to Mernda
The Plenty Road Upgrade is being delivered by the Major Road Projects Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
Improving connections for the Bellarine Peninsula by upgrading Barwon Heads Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan