Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
Construction of the Thompsons Road Upgrade started in early-2017 and includes:
- Duplicating a 10.7km stretch of Thompsons Road between Dandenong-Frankston Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station by constructing two bridges over the Cranbourne rail line, with three lanes in each direction and shared use walking and cycling paths.
The duplication is expected to be complete in mid-2019 and involves:
- Providing at least two traffic lanes in each direction
- Adding an additional lane in each direction between Dandenong-Frankston Road and Marriott Boulevard, and between Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- Replacing the roundabout at Western Port Highway with traffic lights
- Replacing the roundabout at McCormicks Road with traffic lights
- Building up to 10.7km of shared walking and cycling paths.
As part of the Level Crossing Removal Project, the northern bridge opened on 24 June 2018. Traffic on Thompsons Road is flowing with one lane in each direction between South Gippsland Highway and Marriott Boulevard. Works to build the southern bridge and new traffic lanes will continue to take place.
The Victorian Government has committed $207 million towards this project, including $64 million to remove the level crossing and $143 million for extra lanes on Thompsons Road.
When complete, there will be six lanes of traffic over the train line to get you to your destination sooner
The Thompsons Road Upgrade is being delivered by the Major Road Projects Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
Improving connections for the Bellarine Peninsula by upgrading Barwon Heads Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan