The Western Rail Plan sets out a range of objectives needed to deliver a faster, high-capacity rail network servicing our growing outer suburbs and regional cities.
The plan is supported by a $130 million investment from the Victorian and Australian governments for detailed engineering and design work, which is being undertaken by Rail Projects Victoria alongside the planning for Melbourne Airport Rail.
Significant progress has already been made in this space, with the Australian and Victorian governments announcing:
- the route for Melbourne Airport Rail
- the first stage of Geelong Fast Rail.
Transforming Victoria’s rail network in the growing west requires staged investments across the medium and long-term to maximise benefits to passengers and increase capacity in the network.
It is essential that these complex and interrelated investments are planned and sequenced carefully to ensure the best network and passenger outcomes are achieved.
- 21 November 2020 - Faster services for Geelong on the way
- 24 May 2019 - Getting on with the Western Rail Plan
- 1 April 2019 - Geelong community has its say on Fast Rail
- 17 October 2018 - A real plan for fast regional rail for Ballarat
- 16 October 2018 - A real plan for fast regional rail and metro rail for the west
- 26 September 2018 - Geelong’s High-Speed Rail on the fast track
- 26 April 2018 - Planning for Fast Rail to Geelong