24 November 2020
The Victorian Government is removing the dangerous level crossing at Hallam Road, Hallam, and building a new station to improve safety, reduce congestion and pave the way for more trains, more often on the Pakenham line.
Some works cannot be safely completed while trains are running. To minimise disruptions to rail services, we’ve designed the new rail bridge to be built alongside the existing tracks, so most of the work can be completed while trains continue to run.
We will also take other steps to reduce rail disruptions, including:
- coordinating our works with other projects, to reduce the number and duration of rail closures on the network
- working at night to reduce the impact on passengers
- where possible, scheduling disruptions for off-peak times, such as during school holidays, on public holidays and on weekends
- constantly reviewing construction methods.
We’ll provide regular updates so you can plan your journey ahead of time.
Work in the rail corridor
- removing vegetation impacted by the new infrastructure and site office
- relocating underground utilities
- train signalling upgrades
- closing Hallam Station southern car park and building a temporary station car park
- earthworks in the rail corridor
- partial demolishing of the old Hallam Station
- building retaining walls and piling
- pouring concrete for foundations
- lifting beams into place for the rail bridge
- installing overhead wiring
- laying new tracks
- removing the boom gates
- road and traffic light works on Hallam Road
- finishing the new Hallam Station and car park
- planting of new landscaping.
Passenger parking changes
There will be times during construction when we will need to close sections of parking at Hallam Station. Alternative temporary parking is currently being built to the east of the existing car park, and is expected to open in late 2020.
Supporting local traders
We will work closely with local businesses to plan for and minimise disruption.
- maintain pedestrian access to businesses and properties
- provide clear paths and signs to direct people to local businesses
- work to minimise construction impacts to the local area where possible.
Our dedicated communications team will provide regular updates and support throughout the project. You can reach them by calling 1800 105 105.
Changes to the road network
There will be temporary disruptions to the road network such as reduced speed limits, lane closures, and some full road closures during our works.
We know that Hallam Road is an important connection, particularly for local businesses, and we’ve planned the works to minimise the number and duration of road closures on Hallam Road. Most closures will be off-peak. When lane or road closures are required, traffic management staff will assist road users and pedestrians through the work areas.
We will provide advance notice so you can plan your travel. Please drive carefully around construction areas and follow the directions of traffic controllers and signs. Traffic controllers are there to keep everyone safe and we ask that the community is respectful when interacting with them.
Temporary walking and cycling changes
There are times when pedestrian and cyclist connections will be disrupted by works.
When pedestrian and cycling connections are disrupted, we’ll have detours to help guide you through the area safely. We will maintain access to businesses and homes throughout the works.