8 August 2022 to 31 December 2022
Millers Road interchange works enter last stages
As part of the West Gate Tunnel Project, we are widening the West Gate Freeway to create more capacity and reduce travel times. We are also upgrading key intersections to make it easier to get on and off the freeway.
From 9pm Friday 19 August to 5am Monday 24 October 2022, the West Gate Tunnel Project will carry out major road works at the Millers Road/West Gate Freeway interchange.
At the end of this construction period nearly all the West Gate Tunnel Project’s works at Millers Road will be completed.
To enable work to be completed as quickly as possible, construction activities will take place 24/7 and require road, ramp and lane closures. A number of signed, recommended detour routes will be in place to help you access the freeway and your local suburbs safely. The busiest part of these works, have also been timed in part to take advantage of the September school holidays when there are less vehicles on the road. Businesses along Millers Road will remain open while we work, with access available as normal.
We appreciate our work can be disruptive and thank you for your understanding. Works may be rescheduled in the event of unexpected impacts.
24/7 construction noise including high pressure water blasting, night time lighting, truck movements in the area and increased construction activity at our work sites.
Overnight closures of Millers Road and freeway ramps.
|19 August to 24 October|
Millers Road inbound entry ramp to the West Gate Freeway
|19 August to 17 September|
Millers Road southbound underneath the West Gate Freeway
|19 August to 17 September|
|Ramp closure and road closure||17 September to 24 October|
| Road closure|
Note: Right turn onto Millers inbound entry ramp to the West Gate Freeway will remain open during this period
|17 September to 3 October|
|Lane closure||17 September to 24 October|
The Project team will contact impacted households directly
|17 September to 24 October|
Detour and access information
More detail on what you can expect during the works
- Traffic disruptions and detour options will be updated on social media and the Big Build website, and sent out via our weekly traffic email alert.
- Construction vehicles moving in and out of the area including excavators, cranes, rollers and water and concrete trucks. The main access to the sites will be from the West Gate Freeway and Millers Road.
- Construction noise, including intermittent noise at night.
- Water-spray trucks and road sweepers used in the local streets around our worksites, keeping local roads clear during construction.
- Lighting will be angled away from homes whenever possible when we’re working at night.
- Updates available at the Victoria's Big Build Disruptions Map and on social media.
- Freeway verge works will continue in Spotswood, Altona North and Brooklyn until July 2023.
- Freeway technology system work, noise wall installations and freeway construction activity will continue until project completion – with overnight construction activity required in some instances.
We appreciate our work can be disruptive and thank you for your patience and understanding as we carry out this construction.
Works may be rescheduled in the event of unexpected impacts.
More information can be found on Spring works 2022 - Plan your journey.