Melbourne’s first dedicated busway is a step closer, with construction on North East Link’s Bulleen Park & Ride underway. Work has started on the $69 million Bulleen Park & Ride, with the project fast-tracked to open by the end of 2022 – 4 years ahead of schedule.
Excavation has begun with a piling rig on site to build the foundations for the new premium bus station, including:
- a 5000 square metre green roof community park
- parking for up to 370 cars underneath
- dedicated quick drop off and pick-up bays
- walking and cycling paths that connect to Koonung Creek Trail
- bike storage cage
- ramps, toilets and myki services.
Buses that use the Eastern Freeway are already among the busiest in Melbourne, with 6 million passenger trips per year.
When complete, the dedicated busway will allow buses to travel uninterrupted, separated from general traffic, up to 100km/h along the Eastern Freeway cutting commute times by up to 30%.