West Gate Tunnel works this summer
The West Gate Tunnel Project has begun an extensive program of works this summer.
Crews have been working to widen parts of the West Gate Freeway from 8 to 12 lanes and rebuild a section of the Grieve Parade bridge.
Demolition of the bridge section is complete, with the western side of the bridge reopened to one lane of traffic each way.
Construction of the new bridge has kicked off.
These works will include:
- reconstructing the bridge footings
- installing 18 new beams to widen the bridge over the freeway
- constructing the new bridge deck
- installing barriers and railing on the east side of the bridge
- installing new kerbs and rebuilding the footpath
- laying new asphalt for the new lanes on the bridge.
During this time, the following ramps will be closed until 22 February:
- Princess Freeway to Geelong Road in both directions
- M80 Ring Road Altona-bound exit ramp to the West Gate Freeway.
You can check all our planned summer works via the Big Build website.