We upgraded O'Herns Road in 2 stages.
As part of Stage 1, we upgraded the O’Herns Road and High Street intersection with traffic lights and built on-road bike lanes to connect to nearby shared walking and cycling paths. Stage 1 was completed in early 2019.
Construction on Stage 2 of the O'Herns Road Upgrade started in September 2019 and was completed in mid-2021.
As part of the upgrade, we built:
- a new interchange with direct access to the Hume Freeway
- one new lane in each direction on O’Herns Road between the Hume Freeway and Redding Rise
- one new lane in each direction on the Hume Freeway between Cooper Street and O’Herns Road
- new traffic light intersections at Edgars Road and Gateway Boulevard
- a wider bridge over the Hume Freeway to improve traffic flow to the new interchange
- a new and upgraded walking cycling path and on-road bicycle lane.
We also installed new traffic lights at the future Koukoura Drive intersection. The remaining connection will be built by Development Victoria.
We've changed the way you travel on O'Herns Road.