The South Road Upgrade has improved 5 intersections between Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road to reduce bottlenecks, improve traffic flow and make South Road safer for all road users.
The project has:
- built an extra citybound right-turn lane from South Road to improve access to Nepean Highway
- modified the Taylor Street and Jasper Road intersection to improve traffic flow on South Road and pedestrian safety
- installed a new signalised pedestrian crossing at Tucker Road to improve pedestrian access
- built an extra right-turn lane from South Road to East Boundary Road to create more capacity and realign the left turn slip lanes to improve safety
- installed new traffic lights and a signalised pedestrian crossing at Bignell Road to improve safety.
As part of the project, we’ve also upgraded the existing off-road bike path along the Nepean Highway between South Road and Cummins Road.
Works started on the project in November 2021 and were completed in October 2022.
Watch our video to view everything we did as part of the South Road Upgrade over 12 months.
More than 40,000 vehicles travel along South Road every day.
The project has created more capacity at key intersections and improved traffic flow along South Road, making journey times more reliable.
It has also improved safety and reduced the risk of crashes as well as making it easier and safer for pedestrians to travel along and across South Road.