Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
The South Gippsland Highway will be realigned on the stretch known locally as the 'Black Spur'. The highway's existing alignment has meant frequent road crashes, freight delays and safety concerns for road users.
A preferred route for the new alignment was chosen more than a decade ago after extensive community consultation and the land was secured when funding was made available.
The project will include:
- Constructing a new section of highway between Old Koonwarra-Meeniyan Road and Minns Road to reduce the length of highway from 3.4 kilometres to 2.3 kilometres
- Removing nine sharp corners
- Constructing two new bridges over the Tarwin River
- Constructing a highway underpass east of the new Caithness Road intersection for the Great Southern Rail Trail
- Realigning the Great Southern Rail Trail under the new river bridge at Minns Road
- Closing of access to the old section of highway to through traffic east of Caithness Road while retaining access for local residents
- Retaining access to Caithness Road via a new intersection and improvements to the existing intersection at Minns Road
- Installing safety barriers in accordance with Safe System principles.
These upgrades will reclassify the highway as to being an ‘A’ class standard road. The project will also investigate other safety improvements between Meeniyan and Yarram.
Improving safety, connectivity and travel times between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
The South Gippsland Highway road safety improvements are being delivered by Major Road Projects Victoria. Visit the project website for more information.
Bacchus Marsh Traffic Improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with two major upgrades
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We're duplicating 4 kms of Barwon Heads Road between Settlement Road and Reserve Road, and investigating the potential for duplicating a further 6 kms from Reserve Road to Lower Duneed Road
Beaufort Rail Bridge Strengthening
We're increasing the bridge's capacity and extending its life for future generations
Cranbourne Line Duplication
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Fast Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a fast rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
North East Link
Victoria's biggest road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network 356231
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.