Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The South Gippsland Highway will be realigned on the stretch known locally as the 'Black Spur'. The highway's existing alignment has meant frequent road crashes, freight delays and safety concerns for road users.
A preferred route for the new alignment was chosen more than a decade ago after extensive community consultation and the land was secured when funding was made available.
The project will include:
- Constructing a new section of highway between Old Koonwarra-Meeniyan Road and Minns Road to reduce the length of highway from 3.4km to 2.3km
- Removing nine sharp corners
- Constructing two new bridges over the Tarwin River
- Constructing a highway underpass east of the new Caithness Road intersection for the Great Southern Rail Trail
- Realigning the Great Southern Rail Trail under the new river bridge at Minns Road
- Closing of access to the old section of highway to through traffic east of Caithness Road while retaining access for local residents
- Retaining access to Caithness Road via a new intersection and improvements to the existing intersection at Minns Road
- Installing safety barriers in accordance with Safe System principles.
These upgrades will reclassify the highway as to being an ‘A’ class standard road. The project will also investigate other safety improvements between Meeniyan and Yarram.
Fixing this part of the highway will reduce the road toll as part of the Victorian Government's 'Towards Zero' plan
The South Gippsland Highway road safety improvements are being delivered by the Major Road Projects Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
Improving connections for the Bellarine Peninsula by upgrading Barwon Heads Road