5 October 2021
We’re building Melbourne’s first dedicated busway – starting with a new park and ride in Bulleen.
The new Bulleen Park & Ride will make it easier for people to use faster, more frequent public transport to get to and from the city.
Building the park and ride close to the Eastern Freeway means it can open 4 years earlier than planned. We won't need to build a temporary Doncaster Park & Ride, reducing disruptions to passengers and creating opportunities to save more open space and keep more trees during construction.
- construction starting mid-2021
- open 2023
- 5000 square metre green roof with community park – a first for a Victorian public transport hub
- 300 jobs in construction
- up to 370 car parking spaces
- bike storage cage and parking
- Myki services
About the busway
- dedicated bus lanes from Doncaster Road to Hoddle Street
- up to 30% faster trips
- more reliable and frequent services
- major upgrade to Doncaster Park & Ride
- new Bulleen Park & Ride
- double the number of car spaces to 800 across both sites.
A green solution
The new park and ride will be built into the side of a natural, steep slope and covered by a green roof – Victoria’s first for a public transport hub.
The design is a sustainable solution, with:
- solar panels for renewable energy
- rainwater collection for flushing toilets and watering on the green roof park
- green wall with climbing plants on the edge of the building
- a smaller project footprint.
Bulleen Park & Ride
- 5000 square metre green roof with landscaped open space for community park and planting
- Main entry pavilion with Myki services and toilets
- Multi-level parking for up to 370 cars
- Cycling cage for safe storage of bikes
- Bike and walking paths, connecting into the Koonung Creek Trail
- Bus platforms with shelter from sun and rain
2018 to 2019
Environment Effects Statement (EES) process
Outcomes from EES process led to Bulleen Park & Ride being moved to a better location
Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP exhibited
People could view the proposed design and have their say
Bulleen Park & Ride approved
The Minister for Planning assessed and approved the Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP, including changes made in response to submissions
Late April/early May 2021
Site preparation starts
Work to prepare the site for construction will include building a temporary noise wall along Kampman Street
Bulleen Park & Ride opens
Passengers will be catching buses from the brand-new Bulleen Park & Ride before the dedicated busway is complete
North East Link and dedicated busway is complete
North East Link and Eastern Freeway upgrades will be complete, with Victoria’s first dedicated busway fully integrated with the Bulleen Park & Ride
As part of the project’s planning and approvals, an Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) for Bulleen Park & Ride showing the proposed design was exhibited for public comment in late 2020.
The UDLP included site layout plans, architectural drawings, landscape plans and a report outlining how the design meets strict requirements set for the North East Link Project through the Environment Effects Statement (EES) process, and the planning approvals that followed.
As a result of submissions, some changes were made to the project design and UDLP including:
- improvements to the green roof for the community and commuters by adding a bicycle repair station and extra bench seating
- better privacy and screening for residents along Kampman Street by including a solid section along the length of the noise wall
- more trees and shrubs along Kampman Street at the southern end with a deeper earth mound and garden bed.
For more information, including the final UDLP, visit the Bulleen Park & Ride page.
It should be noted that this information is current at the time of publication, however changes may occur.