Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
The M80 Ring Road is being upgraded and widened to create faster, safer and more reliable journeys for more than 160,000 drivers who use the road every day.
Drivers will soon benefit from a better Ring Road between Sunshine Avenue and the Calder Freeway as the new lanes open.
These extra lanes will reduce congestion and improve travel times and will open four months ahead of schedule and with $90 million in savings.
- Widening from two to four lanes in each direction from Sunshine Avenue to the EJ Whitten Bridge
- Widening from three to five lanes in each direction across the bridge through to the Calder Freeway
- Widening from three to four lanes in each direction between the Princes Freeway and Western Highway
- Widening and lengthening freeway entries and exits
- Upgrading the interchange at Boundary Road and Fitzgerald Road to improve access for freight
- Providing new entry/exit ramps on the Princes Freeway and M80 Ring Road interchange to improve safety, reduce weaving, and create better connections between these major freeways, the West Gate freeway, and the future West Gate Tunnel
- Constructing new separated and elevated roads, which will distribute traffic safely in both directions to and from Boundary Road
- Strengthening the bridges over Pipe Road, Boundary Road and Fitzgerald Road so the freeway can be widened
- Re-aligning a section of the Federation Trail from under the M80 Ring Road to the Pipe Road underpass, adding approximately 700 metres to the trail
- Installing a new freeway management system to control traffic flow and incidents on the freeway.
The Victorian Government is partnering with the Australian Government on this project.
The section between Sunshine Avenue and the Calder Freeway will be complete in late 2018
The M80 Ring Road upgrade is being delivered by Major Road Projects Victoria. Visit the project website for more information.
Bacchus Marsh Traffic Improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with two major upgrades
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We’re planning for the duplication of Barwon Heads Road to improve traffic flow and safety and provide for future growth in the surrounding area
Beaufort Rail Bridge Strengthening
We're increasing the bridge's capacity and extending its life for future generations
Cranbourne Line Upgrade
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Fast Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a fast rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
North East Link
Victoria's biggest road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.