Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The M80 Ring Road is being upgraded and widened to create faster, safer and more reliable journeys for more than 160,000 drivers who use the road every day.
The section between Sunshine Avenue and the Calder Freeway is currently under construction with another section between the Princes Freeway and Western Highway to kick off in early 2018.
- Widening from two to four lanes in each direction from Sunshine Avenue to the EJ Whitten Bridge
- Widening from three to five lanes in each direction across the bridge through to the Calder Freeway
- Widening from three to four lanes in each direction between the Princes Freeway and Western Highway
- Widening and lengthening freeway entries and exits
- Upgrading the interchange at Boundary Road and Fitzgerald Road to improve access for freight
- Providing new entry/exit ramps on the Princes Freeway and M80 Ring Road interchange to improve safety, reduce weaving, and create better connections between these major freeways, the West Gate freeway, and the future West Gate Tunnel
- Constructing new separated and elevated roads, which will distribute traffic safely in both directions to and from Boundary Road
- Strengthening the bridges over Pipe Road, Boundary Road and Fitzgerald Road so the freeway can be widened
- Re-aligning a section of the Federation Trail from under the M80 Ring Road to the Pipe Road underpass, adding approximately 700 metres to the trail
- Installing a new freeway management system to control traffic flow and incidents on the freeway.
The Victorian Government is partnering with the Australian Government on this project. Works between Sunshine Avenue and the Calder Freeway will be complete in late 2018, while works between the Princes Freeway and Western Highway are scheduled for completion in late 2020.
Works on the final two sections (between Sydney Road and Edgars Road and from Plenty Road to Greensborough Highway) are expected to start in early 2019 and be completed in early 2021.
The section between Sunshine Avenue and the Calder Freeway will be complete in late 2018
Major Road Projects Authority is overseeing the M80 Ring Road Upgrade. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing the massive bottleneck on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
Improving connections for the Bellarine Peninsula by upgrading Barwon Heads Road
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan