Major works on the Donnybrook Road/Mitchell Street Improvement Project are now complete.
While the intersection was closed for 2 weeks in September 2023, we:
- built a dedicated left turn lane for southbound travel onto the Hume Freeway
- widened the on-ramp to the Hume Freeway
- modified street lighting
- modified traffic islands
- resurfaced existing road.
Round-the-clock construction allowed us to complete 3 months’ worth of works in a little under 2 weeks.
During our works, we:
- removed and recycled more than 5,000 tonnes of concrete and old road material
- laid 3,500 tonnes of crushed rock to form the base for the new road surface
- installed 450m of new concrete kerbs and gutters.
The project will:
- reduce peak time congestion in the area and alleviate the queuing of traffic on Donnybrook Road and Dwyer Street
- improve access to the Hume Freeway for motorists travelling west on Donnybrook Road via a dedicated left turn lane
- provide safer, smoother journeys, with improved access for locals, commuters and freight operators.
Currently no recent news for this project. See all Victoria's Big Build news.