Bike detours will be in place in some areas during construction of the West Gate Tunnel Project.
The project is a massive job and we’re working with VicRoads, local councils, and Bicycle Network Victoria to implement safe and better alternatives for cyclists.
Plan your journey
To help plan your journey, you can find the latest updates for temporary and long-term disruptions on our travel disruptions map. New updates are published daily, so make sure to check back regularly.
You can also follow our Facebook and Twitter channels for regular updates.
Key changes for cyclists
- The Federation Trail will be closed between Millers Road and the Newport Freight Line.
- A detour will be in place via Kyle Road and Blackshaws Road (detour is illustrated in teal on the map below).
- The closure will be in place for approximately 4 years from July 2018.
- This is so we can widen the West Gate Freeway and upgrade nearby cycling and walking paths.
- Sections of the new permanent concrete path on the south side of Footscray Road are open.
- Construction will soon begin on the elevated structure above Footscray Road.
- The new 2.5km veloway will be built after the elevated structure is complete.
- There may be times when sections of the path need to be closed
- There will be changes to the Dynon Road path, which will be upgraded.
- More details will be provided before works begin.
Other paths and trails
There will be occasional planned disruptions to other paths and trails as well as local paths. For the latest updates about temporary disruptions, see our travel map.
Building better and safer cycling paths
A major focus of the West Gate Tunnel Project is making it easier and safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to get around Melbourne.