We’ve upgraded Narre Warren North Road to improve safety and travel times for the more than 14,000 vehicles that use the road each day.
As part of the project, we’ve:
- added an extra lane in each direction between Fox and Belgrave-Hallam roads
- improved traffic flow through the Ernst Wanke Road intersection with an extra through-lane in each direction on Narre Warren North Road
- built a dedicated right turn lane from Heatherton Road to Belgrave-Hallam Road northbound to reduce congestion for vehicles travelling through to the Monash Freeway during peak periods
- installed traffic lights at Memorial Drive to improve safety and access for the CFA
- improved safety by removing right turns from Brundrett Road to Narre Warren North Road and making Crawley Road left-in and left-out only
- installed a signalised U-turn 20m south of the Memorial Drive intersection to provide safer access to Crawley Road
- upgraded the existing shared walking and cycling path on the western side of Narre Warren North Road and built a new footpath on the eastern side of the road
- installed high push buttons for equestrians at the upgraded Memorial Drive intersection.
Works started on the project in late 2021 and were completed in May 2023.
The 2 bus stops along Narre Warren North Road, north of the Heatherton Road intersection, have been upgraded to full bus bays.
The bus stop at the north-eastern corner of the Narre Warren North and Ernst Wanke Road intersection, opposite Mary MacKillop Primary School, is now permanently closed. The new bus stop, 170 metres south of the Ernst Wanke Road intersection, is now open.
Access to local roads
As part of the safety improvements delivered by the project, we’ve permanently changed the access at Crawley and Brundrett roads.
- No right turn in or out of Crawley Road at Narre Warren North Road
- No right turn out of Brundrett Road onto Narre Warren North Road.
Local traffic from Crawley Road wanting to travel north on Narre Warren North Road will now need to turn left out onto Narre Warren North Road and use the new U-turn lane located opposite the Bupa Aged care.
Local traffic from Brundrett Road wanting to travel north on Narre Warren North Road will now need to turn left out onto Narre Warren North Road and perform a U-turn at the Fox Road intersection.
Traffic heading north on Narre Warren North Road wanting to access Crawley and Brundrett roads will need to perform a U-turn at the new signalised U-turn bay 20 metres south of Memorial Drive, followed by a left turn into Crawley or Brundrett roads.