The project extends 4 kilometres from Settlement Road to Reserve Road.
As part of the project, we will:
- duplicate 4km of Barwon Heads Road between Settlement Road and Reserve Road
- build a bridge over the railway line at Marshall, removing the level crossing
- upgrade intersections at Settlement Road and Breakwater Road
- install new traffic lights at Crows Road, Barwarre Road, Marshalltown Road and Reserve Road
- build 4km of new shared walking and cycling path and dedicated on road cycling lanes
- install new street lighting, road signage, drainage and landscaping.
Once complete, the duplication will:
- improve traffic flow in the area, and make your journey safer and more predictable
- improve access to active and public transport modes
- cater for up to 44,000 daily journeys by 2031
- improve safety and reduce the severity and incidence of crashes.
View a printable version of the Barwon Heads Road upgrade project overview map (PDF, 176.4 KB)
The proposed new design improves safety for motorists and pedestrians, and has been informed by traffic modelling and community feedback. Use our interactive map to find out more details about the project. Click on the icons for more information.