We completed the Dohertys Road Upgrade in early-2021.
Our upgrades to Dohertys Road include:
- a new lane in each direction from Palmers Road to Foundation Road, and from Fitzgerald Road to Grieve Parade
- a second Dohertys Road bridge over the Princes Freeway
- a new walking and cycling overpass over Dohertys Road for the Federation Trail
- 4 new traffic lights at key intersections along Dohertys Road
- new separated walking and cycling paths along Dohertys Road.
The Dohertys Road Upgrade has transformed this key industrial and freight route. These benefits include:
- safer and more reliable journeys for freight get to where they need
- more reliable journey times for all road users with extra lanes
- safer separated walking and cycling connections away from cars and heavy vehicles
- a more seamless and safer journey along the Federation Trail, with a new walking and cycling bridge over Dohertys Road
- better connections to some of Melbourne’s biggest growth areas
- more reliable east-west connection to the Princes Freeway and Western Ring Road.
Reasons for the upgrade
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Dohertys Road every day.
Dohertys Road is a key route within the Western Industrial Precinct, connecting this rapidly growing freight hub to the M80 Freeway Corridor, Princes Freeway, and the Port of Melbourne.