We completed the Leakes Road Upgrade in late-2019.
Our upgrades to Leakes Road include:
- a new lane in each direction
- 18 upgraded intersections
- a new walking and cycling overpass over Leakes Road for the Federation Trail
- new separated walking and cycling paths along Leakes Road.
The Leakes Road Upgrade has improved east-west connections to Truganina, and between key roads such as Palmers Road and Derrimut Road. These benefits include:
- improved traffic flow by creating a more reliable east-west main road route, taking pressure off local roads
- improved safety by upgrading 18 intersections
- better access to Tarneit Station, jobs and community services
- a more seamless and safer journey along the Federation Trail, with a new walking and cycling bridge over Leakes Road.
Watch our video below to see the Leakes Road Upgrade.
Reasons for the upgrade
More than 22,000 cars and trucks rely on Leakes Road every day.
Leakes Road connects you to jobs in Truganina, the Tarneit train station, local shops and community services. Plus, it’s a key route to many growing suburbs, including more than 40,000 new homes in the area.