Removing 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne
The Monash Freeway Upgrade will provide a massive boost to Melbourne’s south east by easing traffic congestion and improving road safety.
Once complete, the project will allow for an extra 2,000 vehicles each hour during peak travel times and make journeys 10 minutes quicker for people living and working in one of Victoria’s fastest growing areas.
Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade started in September 2016 and was completed in June 2018.
We added 30 kilometres of extra traffic lanes. The upgrade includes:
- Widening from four to five lanes in each direction between EastLink and the South Gippsland Freeway
- Widening from two to three lanes in each direction from South Gippsland Freeway to Clyde Road in Berwick
- New and upgraded ramp signals, and extra space for more cars on ramps from Chadstone to Pakenham
- Modern technology to manage traffic flows and incidents between Warrigal Road and South Gippsland Freeway
- Widening and strengthening bridges to carry the new lanes.
The Monash Freeway Upgrade stage one was delivered alongside the West Gate Tunnel Project in order to streamline travel between Melbourne’s west and south east.
After widening 30 kilometres of road in Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway upgrade, we’re starting work on Stage 2.
As part of Stage 2 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade, we will:
- add new lanes to 36 kilometres of the Monash and Princes Freeways, between:
- Warrigal Road and Eastlink outbound
- Eastlink to Springvale Road inbound
- Clyde Road to Cardinia Road, in both directions
- connect Police Road to the freeway with an outbound on-ramp
- connect the Jacksons Road outbound ramps directly to Eastlink with a separate road
- add an extra lane in each direction to O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and Soldiers Road
- upgrade the Beaconsfield Interchange – we’ll extend O’Shea Road so it joins the interchange, add an inbound freeway off-ramp and an outbound freeway on-ramp
- build shared walking and cycling paths on O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and the Beaconsfield Interchange.
Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade is now complete.
The Monash Freeway Upgrade is being overseen by the Western Distributor Authority. Visit the project website for more information.
West Gate Tunnel
A vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge to free up traffic and remove thousands of trucks from residential streets in Melbourne’s west
North East Link
Victoria's biggest ever road project - connecting the missing link in Melbourne's freeway network
Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Removing bottlenecks on the Hurstbridge line and improving the frequency and reliability of services
Airport Rail Link
Connecting Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine
High Speed Rail to Geelong
Investigating a preferred option for a high speed rail link between Melbourne and Geelong
M80 Ring Road Upgrade
We’re making Melbourne’s freeway network safer and less congested by upgrading the M80 Ring Road from the Princes Freeway to the Greensborough Highway.
Swan Street Bridge Upgrade
Adding an extra lane for drivers heading east and providing safer and better access for joggers and cyclists
High Capacity Metro Trains
Bigger, better trains and modern infrastructure to transport more people, more often
Cranbourne Line Upgrade
Doubling services on the Cranbourne line with trains every 10 minutes during peak
Suburban Roads Upgrade
Upgrading priority roads in Melbourne’s outer west, north and south-eastern suburbs
Plenty Road Upgrade
Creating better traffic flow on Plenty Road, between McKimmies Road and Bridge Inn Road
Thompsons Road Upgrade
Removing the level crossing near Merinda Park Station and duplicating a stretch of Thompsons Road
Hallam Road Upgrade
Improving safety, traffic flow and access to public transport from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway
Barwon Heads Road Duplication
We’re planning for the duplication of Barwon Heads Road to improve traffic flow and safety and provide for future growth in the surrounding area.
South Gippsland Highway - Koonwarra
Realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan
Upgrading Western Victoria's key transport corridor, making journeys safer and quicker.
Bacchus Marsh traffic improvements
We’re improving road safety and traffic flow in Bacchus Marsh with the Halletts Way Interchange Project and the Gisborne Road / Holts Lane Intersection Upgrade.