Before construction for permanent above-ground buildings or structures for North East Link got underway, an Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) was exhibited for public comment from 11 May to 31 May 2022 so local people could give feedback on local elements of the design for their area. The plan also included connecting Eastern Freeway upgrades in Bulleen and Balwyn North.
The UDLP shows the proposed design and explains how it meets the project’s approved Urban Design Strategy and Environmental Performance Requirements.
In response to your comments on the UDLP, we made some further changes to the design including:
- improved walking and cycling connections
- more opportunities for more trees and plants
- a new wildlife crossing under Lower Plenty Road between Borlase Reserve and Banyule Flats
- more privacy and better views for residents in Yallambie, Bulleen and Balwyn North.
The UDLP was approved by the Minister for Planning on 3 February 2023.
You can see a copy of the approved UDLP and the Community Consultation Report below:
- Community Consultation Report (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- NEL Tunnels UDLP Report (PDF, 28.5 MB)
- NEL Tunnels UDLP attachment 1 - Architecture and urban design (PDF, 41.1 MB)
- NEL Tunnels UDLP attachment 2 - Landscape design (PDF, 29.7 MB)
- NEL Tunnels UDLP attachment 3 - Urban design visualisations (PDF, 21.4 MB)
- NEL Tunnels UDLP Attachment 4 - Urban design overshadowing assessment (PDF, 11.4 MB)