As we continue work to widen the West Gate Freeway from 8 to 12 lanes, motorists heading west will need to decide as early as the Millers Road interchange, which route to take to exit the West Gate Freeway.
These traffic lane changes will allow crews to set up a new construction site and complete work on the road, without having to close the freeway for extended periods of time.
Changes to the freeway lanes
From the evening of Friday 23 July, we'll be splitting the freeway lanes near Grieve Parade heading west.
This means you'll need to decide as early as the Millers Road interchange, which route you need to take:
- stay left to exit at Grieve Parade or head to the M80 Ring Road, OR
- stay right to continue on the West Gate Freeway and onto the M1/Princes Freeway.
What you need to do
I am exiting at Grieve Parade
- Stay in the far left lane after the Millers Road interchange.
- If you miss your exit, travel via Princes Freeway, U-turn at Kororoit Creek Road and take the Geelong Road exit ramp to get to Grieve Parade.
I am heading to the M80 Ring Road
- Stay in the 2 left lanes after the Millers Road interchange.
- If you miss your exit, travel via Princes Freeway, U-turn at Kororoit Creek Road and take the M80 exit ramp.
I am continuing along the West Gate towards the M1/Princes Freeway
- Stay in the 3 right lanes after the Millers Road interchange.
- If you miss your exit, travel via M80, U-turn at Boundary and take the Princes Freeway ramp.
If you’re exiting at Grieve Parade or M80, it’s essential to decide early at Millers Road so you can avoid a 7km detour to the next available exit.
Directional information and line-marking will be installed on the road to tell you what lane you need to be in, so you can travel your intended route.
If you miss your exit, please avoid making unsafe last-minute lane changes, and take the next available exit.
Thank you for your patience as we continue construction to widen the West Gate Freeway to provide a smoother and safer journey for all motorists.