Major construction is well underway on the Cranbourne Line Upgrade, with 8km of duplicated track between Cranbourne and Dandenong complete and a new Merinda Park Station open to passengers.
The second track between Cranbourne and Dandenong was completed in February 2022, close to a year ahead of schedule and means trains can run every 10 minutes on average in the morning peak for passengers travelling from Cranbourne, Lynbrook and Merinda Park stations.
To upgrade the Cranbourne Line we will:
- remove level crossings at Evans Road, Lyndhurst (complete), Greens Road, Dandenong South (complete), Camms Road, Cranbourne (gone by 2024) and Webster Street, Dandenong (gone by 2025)
- duplicate 8km of single track between Dandenong South and Cranbourne (complete)
- install second rail bridges at Abbotts Road and Eumemmerring Creek in Dandenong South (complete)
- build a brand new Merinda Park Station in Lyndhurst (complete)
- deliver a new rail connection for the Port Rail Shuttle Network (underway)
Along with the Metro Tunnel, the Cranbourne Line Upgrade will make road and rail travel easier, faster and more reliable for Melbourne’s south east, providing better access to jobs, health and education for people in this growth area of Melbourne.
For regular updates about works in your local area, sign up for email updates