The project will be delivered in 3 stages, with upgrades to the Princes Freeway the first to get underway.
The Princes Freeway Upgrade includes:
- upgrading the freeway interchanges at Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road, replacing both roundabouts with traffic lights
- building an extra bridge over the Princes Freeway at Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road to provide 2 lanes in each direction
- building new east-facing ramps to and from the Princes Freeway at McGregor Road
- adding an extra lane in each direction on the freeway between McGregor and Healesville-Koo Wee Rup roads to connect the entry and exit ramps between the 2 interchanges
- adding extra lanes on Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road between Peet Street and Southeast Boulevard/Livestock Way, so that it is 2 lanes in each direction
- installing new shared walking and cycling paths to improve pedestrian and cyclist connectivity
- installing safety barriers and new street lighting to improve safety.
The Pakenham Roads Upgrade is an Australian government initiative being delivered by Major Road Projects Victoria.
Early works for Stage 1 are underway and traffic changes are in place at the McGregor Road freeway interchange and Healesville-Koo Wee Rup freeway interchange.
Pakenham is home to around 70,000 people and nearly 8000 jobs. The suburb has grown rapidly over the last 20 years, increasing congestion on the local road network.
Stage 1 of the Pakenham Roads Upgrade will focus on improving access on and off the Princes Freeway at Healesville-Koo Wee Rup and McGregor roads and reducing bottlenecks for vehicles travelling on Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road between Peet Street and Southeast Boulevard/Livestock Way. The project will reduce congestion and improve traffic flow and connectivity.
New shared walking and cycling paths will also improve active transport connections.
- Reducing bottlenecks and improving traffic flow
- Safer outcomes for all road users
- More walking and cycling options
- Better connections to and from the Princes Freeway
Use our interactive map below to get to know what is planned for the Pakenham Roads upgrade project. The map highlights what we're doing to fix the roads you use every day.
Investing in Pakenham
The Pakenham Roads Upgrade is part of a wider investment in improving transport infrastructure in Pakenham. This includes the removal of the level crossings at Racecourse Road, McGregor Road and Main Street, 2 new train stations at Pakenham and upgrades to Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road between Southeast Boulevard/Livestock Way and Manks Road.
Together, these projects will create a more efficient transport network for Pakenham, reducing bottlenecks, improving connectivity and safety for all road users.