Wurundjeri Way currently runs through Docklands to the west of the city, providing a connection from Montague Street in South Melbourne via the Charles Grimes Bridge to Dudley Street in West Melbourne.
Vehicles travelling from the west currently have limited routes they can use to access the city. Routes include Footscray Road, Dynon Road and the West Gate Freeway via Montague Street. During the peak periods, these roads often experience high levels of congestion.
Apart from the West Gate Freeway, the major routes accessing the city from the west are Footscray Road, Dynon Road and, to a lesser extent, Arden Street and Macaulay Road.
Key features of the extension will include:
- an extension of Wurundjeri Way along the northern boundary of E-Gate to connect with Dynon Road
- a new bridge over Moonee Ponds Creek
- an elevated intersection with the Dynon Road link
- a bridge over Dudley Street
- a widening of Wurundjeri Way between Dudley Street and Flinders Street.