All major upgrades for the Western Roads Upgrade project were completed in early-2021.
These upgrades included:
- upgrades to a network of 8 key arterial roads, including new lanes, intersections, ramps and safety improvements
- upgrades to strengthen 4 bridges and a pedestrian overpass
- resurfacing and maintenance works on 260km roads from Footscray to Werribee across 24 roads, between 2018 and 2021.
The following upgrades make up the Western Roads Upgrade:
Resurfacing and maintenance works will continue as part of the 20-year maintenance contract with Netflow Consortium, managed by VicRoads, a part of the Department of Transport. For more information, please visit the VicRoads maintenance map.
Watch our video below to see how we’re improving transport in the west.
The Western Roads Upgrade has improved connectivity and connections for growing community’s in Melbourne’s western suburbs have. Benefits include:
- removed bottlenecks and improved safety across a network of 8 major roads in the west, including new lanes, improved intersections and new safety barriers
- better connections to key interchanges onto the Western and Princes freeways, including building a new interchange at Duncans Road
- better traffic flow and connections between key roads across Melbourne’s west
- better walking and cycling connections across the west, with over 50km of new walking and cycling paths
- 3 new walking and cycling bridges over major roads along the Federation Trail
- strengthening of 7 structures, namely bridges, including the installation of new safety barriers and corrosion protection works.