The Western Roads Upgrade has improved 8 main roads across the West. We’ll also continue to repair and resurface 37 roads and strengthen 7 structures, mostly bridges.
The Western Roads Upgrade includes:
- a $1.8 billion investment to improve roads in the western suburbs
- a 20-year maintenance contract, which guarantees the ongoing care of 260km of road from Footscray to Werribee
- being delivered through a Public Private Partnership (PPP) between the Victorian Government and project consortium, Netflow
- roads will not be toll roads.
The project has many benefits for growing communities in the western suburbs including:
- quicker, easier and safer roads for all users
- local business opportunities for growth by improving priority truck routes
- improving access to jobs
- improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians with more than 50 km of walking and cycling paths, including 3 new overpasses along the Federation Trail.
You’ll also notice smoother surfaces and a more comfortable commute.
Melbourne's population continues to grow more than any other capital city, with 60% of that growth happening in our outer suburbs.
This upgrade will prepare the local area for its growing population and increased demands on our road network.
View a larger version of the map (PDF, 111.7 KB)
Use our interactive map to view works on the Western Road Upgrade.