Construction of the new Avon River bridge finished three months ahead of schedule in 2020. Trains now travel along the new structure at up to 90km/h, instead of slowing down to 10 km/h.
We have upgraded level crossings between Sale and Bairnsdale. This allowed VLocity trains to run to and from Bairnsdale for the first time.
Upgrades from Pakenham to Traralgon will allow extra services between peak periods between Traralgon and Melbourne.
Future Gippsland stabling facility
During the early stages of the project, our rail experts sought out a suitable location for a new stabling facility to support additional services on the Gippsland Line.
We found that we didn't need a new stabling facility to allow for extra off-peak services.
- Morwell and Traralgon Community Update July 2022 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Bunyip and Longwarry Community Update July 2022 (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Gippsland Line Upgrade 2021 Apex Park Co-design community update (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Spring 2020 construction update (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Summer 2019 construction update (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Spring 2019 newsletter (PDF, 3.5 MB)
- Gippsland Line Upgrade fact sheet (PDF, 536.6 KB)