Melbourne’s new fleet of bigger and better High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMTs) will be taking passengers through the Metro Tunnel in 2025 on the Cranbourne/Pakenham to Sunbury Line.
The first HCMT began operating on the Pakenham Line in December 2020. The new trains were gradually introduced on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines following a comprehensive testing process to ensure the trains are safe and reliable.
The Cranbourne, Pakenham and Sunbury lines have been upgraded to support the new HCMTs and next generation High Capacity Signalling (HCS) system. This includes the power upgrades and platform extensions recently delivered as part of the Sunbury Line Upgrade.
Passengers will benefit from improved features on the HCMTs, the first new metro train design in almost 20 years, built in Victoria.
- Extra carriage space for 20% more passengers
- Enhanced accessibility features – clear walkway through the entire train, 14 allocated spaces at accessible boarding doors, a hearing aid loop
- More space for bikes and prams
- Real-time information through dynamic route map displays
- Improved passenger safety including greater CCTV surveillance