Work is now underway to support construction of Arden Station.
This page outlines a snapshot of works happening in the area, details of impacts and working hours, and downloads of notifications sent to nearby residents and businesses. Sign up for enews to receive notifications to your inbox.
Construction snapshot for August and September 2023
Work at and around the Arden Station site during August and September involves:
- station fit out, testing and commissioning
- mechanical, electrical and plumbing service installation, testing and commissioning
- utility investigation and installation works on Laurens and Barwise streets
- reinstatement and public realm works on Laurens and Barwise streets
- demolition and removal of the temporary substation on Barwise Street
- electrical substation works
- out of hours oversize deliveries to and from site
- concrete batching plant operation
- transporting concrete from the batching plant to other Metro Tunnel Project construction sites.
For more information on these works, see the August and September construction update (PDF, 470.9 KB).
Construction look ahead for 2023
Program is indicative and subject to change
Traffic and transport impacts
As construction of the new Arden Station continues, there will be some changes to how you drive, cycle and walk around the precinct.
- Laurens Street will close to vehicles and cyclists between Barwise and Queensberry streets due to Laurens Street public realms works (PDF, 252.7 KB) on Monday 11 September from 7am to 6pm. During this time, vehicles will be detoured via Dryburgh Street and cyclists will be detoured via Munster Terrace or Dryburgh Street. The western footpath on Laurens Street between Arden and Queensberry streets will be closed and a pedestrian detour to the eastern footpath will be in place.
- From Tuesday 12 September to Thursday 28 September, the northbound lane on Laurens Street, between Barwise and Queensberry streets will be closed. During this time, vehicles travelling north will be detoured via Dryburgh Street and cyclists will be detoured via Munster Terrace.
- During Barwise Street public realm works (PDF, 165.5 KB), there will be intermittent lane closures and access changes to properties, traffic controllers will be on hand to assist with vehicle movements and property access. Properties that may be impacted by these works will continue to be provided further information closer to works commencing. The project will work with residents and businesses to minimise impacts and facilitate maintained access to properties.
- From August to October, there may be short term width reductions of the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail between the electrical substation and Arden Street. Traffic controllers will maintain 2 way movements for users via a stop and go arrangement when working near the shared path.
- Up to 150 trucks per day are expected to travel to and from site. Construction vehicles and trucks will access the site via Laurens and Arden streets.
- All trucks carrying excavated materials will be covered, and water carts and street sweepers will be used frequently to minimise the spread of dust.
- Rumble grids and a wheel wash have been installed to remove debris from the wheels of vehicles, this will help minimise the spread of dirt on local roads.
Laurens Street public realm works
Laurens Street has been realigned to support service relocations and construction of the Arden Station entrance. Until late 2023, there will be vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist and parking changes throughout the area. For more information, see the Laurens Street public realm works notification (PDF, 252.7 KB).