Work is now underway in Melbourne's CBD to support construction of Town Hall Station.
This page outlines a snapshot of works happening in the area, details of impacts and working hours, and downloads of notifications sent to nearby residents and businesses. Sign up for enews to receive notifications to your inbox.
For works around the northern end of Swanston Street, see the current works at State Library Station page.
Construction snapshot for December 2023 to January 2024
Construction works within the Town Hall Station precinct during December 2023 and January 2024 include:
- station build-out works
- station entrance structure construction within the City Square and Flinders Quarter sites
- station passenger area and operational rooms construction and fit-out
- Campbell Arcade restoration works including fit-out of the underground passenger connection to Flinders Street Station
- lift installation within the Degraves Subway at Flinders Street Station
- reinstatement of the Flinders Street pedestrian crossing between Federation Square and St Paul's Cathedral
- surface works in Flinders Lane and the adjoining alley ways
- train testing through the tunnel.
For more information on these works, see the December 2023 to January 2024 Town Hall construction update (PDF, 1.6 MB).
Construction look ahead for 2023
Program is indicative and subject to change
Traffic and transport impacts
- The Flinders Street pedestrian crossing between St Paul's Cathedral and Federation Square is due to reopen in early December. Some overnight lane closures will be required during the rephasing of traffic lights.
- A traffic closure on Flinders Lane between Russell Street and Swanston Street, will take place for up to 2 days in early December, for precast deliveries. Traffic management and signed detours will be in place and pedestrian and local access will be maintained.
- From 15 January 2024, Flinders Lane – between Swanston Street and Royston Place – and Scott Alley and Cocker Alley (PDF, 171.9 KB) will be closed for up to 8 weeks due to surface works. Royston Place will also close for 2 weeks during this period. Detours will be in place and pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Ongoing closure of Flinders Street eastbound lanes between Swanston and Elizabeth streets.
- Ongoing closure of the Flinders Street southern footpath adjacent to the Federation Square site, with pedestrian diversions in place through Federation Square.
- Ongoing closure of the left turning lane from St Kilda Road to Flinders Street.
- Temporary holding of traffic on Flinders Lane, Swanston, and Collins streets for up to 3 minutes to enable the delivery of equipment and materials.
- Ongoing use of boom gate and swing gate controls to pedestrian traffic on Swanston and Collins streets to facilitate safe truck ingress and egress.
- Intermittent stopping of pedestrians on the corner of Swanston Street and Flinders Lane for the egress of construction vehicles.
- Concrete trucks will intermittently park in the loading bay on Collins Street, adjacent to the City Square site for up to 30 minutes to enable concrete testing to take place.
- Full closure of Campbell Arcade from all entrances whilst Flinders Link pedestrian connection works take place.
- Full closure of Degraves Subway from Flinders Street Station while lift installation works take place.