Work is now underway in Melbourne's CBD to support construction of Town Hall Station.
This page outlines a snapshot of works happening in the area, details of impacts and working hours, and downloads of notifications sent to nearby residents and businesses. Sign up for enews to receive notifications to your inbox.
For works around the northern end of Swanston Street, see the current works at State Library Station page.
Construction snapshot for May 2023
Construction works within the Town Hall Station precinct during May include:
- structures and lining works within the central cavern and rail tunnels
- station entrance structure construction within the Flinders Quarter site
- building renovation and connection construction within Campbell Arcade
- lift installation works within the Degraves Subway at Flinders Street Station
- platform screen doors installation across the central cavern
- station build out works at City Square
- commencement of reinstatement works on Flinders Street, requiring a northern footpath closure at the Flinders Quarter site entrance towards the end of the month.
For more information on these works, see the May 2023 Town Hall construction update (PDF, 1.1 MB).
Construction look ahead for 2023
Traffic and transport impacts
- Some traffic closures on Flinders Lane between Russell Street and Swanston Street from 9am to 3pm, once a fortnight for up to 4 days.
- Closure of the Flinders Street northern footpath at the site entrance (PDF, 175.7 KB) from 29 May until mid-September 2023.
- Ongoing closure of Flinders Street eastbound lanes between Swanston and Elizabeth streets.
- Ongoing long-term closure of the southern footpath on Flinders Street adjacent to the Federation Square site, with pedestrian diversions in place through Federation Square.
- Ongoing closure of the left turning lane from St Kilda Road to Flinders Street.
- Temporary closure of the Flinders Street north-south pedestrian crossing between St Paul’s Cathedral and Federation Square.
- Temporary holding of traffic on Flinders Lane, Swanston, and Collins streets for up to 3 minutes to enable the delivery of equipment and materials.
- Ongoing use of boom gate and swing gate controls to pedestrian traffic on Flinders, Swanston, and Collins streets to facilitate safe truck ingress and egress.
- Intermittent stopping of pedestrians on the corner of Swanston Street and Flinders Lane for the egress of construction vehicles.
- Concrete trucks will intermittently park in the loading bay on Collins Street, adjacent to the City Square site for up to 30 minutes to enable concrete testing to take place.
- Full closure of Campbell Arcade from all entrances whilst Flinders Link pedestrian connection works take place.
- Full closure of Degraves Subway from Flinders Street Station while lift installation works take place.