Work is underway in the CBD to build State Library Station.
This page outlines a snapshot of works happening in the area, details of impacts and working hours, and downloads of notifications sent to nearby residents and businesses. Sign up for enews to receive notifications to your inbox.
For works around the southern end of Swanston Street, see the current works at Town Hall Station page.
Construction snapshot for September 2023
Construction works within the State Library Station precinct during September include:
- underground structures and lining works
- shaft construction at all sites
- station entrance structure construction within the La Trobe Street site
- above ground structure works at the Little La Trobe Street site
- escalator installation works at Melbourne Central
- train testing through the tunnel.
For more information on these works, see the September 2023 State Library construction update (PDF, 3.6 MB).
Construction look ahead for 2023
Program is indicative and subject to change
Traffic and transport impacts
- A continuous road closure of Little La Trobe Street, adjacent to the Little La Trobe Street site will be required during above ground structure works, involving use of a mobile crane on the street. This closure is expected to take up to 4 weeks and will commence in September.
- The westbound lanes on Victoria Street are reduced to 1 lane between Russell and Swanston streets outside of peak traffic hours as required to facilitate Franklin East site works.
- A long-term continuous eastbound road closure of La Trobe Street (PDF, 544.0 KB), between Elizabeth and Swanston streets, will start from Monday 4 September 2023 and will take place for up to 12 months. This closure will support a program of critical works including construction of the main above ground station entrance. Motorists will detour via Lonsdale Street and cyclists will detour via Little Lonsdale Street.
- The Little La Trobe Street northern footpath adjacent to the Little La Trobe Street site is closed to pedestrians.
- The eastern entrance to Literature Lane is closed to traffic. Access to Literature Lane is via the western entrance off Little La Trobe Street.
- The entire length of Stewart Street in a southbound direction is now one-way (unless otherwise advised).
- A’Beckett Street is closed between Swanston and Stewart streets and gantry walkways have been installed on both sides of A’Beckett Street.
- A designated pedestrian access path has been installed around the laydown and storage area on the basketball courts on A’Beckett Street.
- Local access for residents and businesses will be maintained at all times.
See Traffic changes around State Library Station for more information.
The map below details long-term traffic and transport changes to the State Library Station precinct during construction.